UK Precast Concrete Industry
The precast concrete industry in the UK produces over 35 million tonnes of products for the construction industry every year, with an estimated value of £2 billion. This is roughly equivalent of the turnover from the cement and ready-mixed concrete industries combined.
Concrete is an extremely versatile construction material providing construction professionals with a product which offers structural and architectural properties. Some of the key advantages of using precast concrete include:
- Durable material will outlast many other construction materials
- Capable of supporting heavy loads
- Weather proof, will resist extreme weather conditions
- Excellent acoustic properties either as a sound barrier, or for sound deflection
- Thermally efficient, can be used as insulator or thermal sink
- Fire proof and non flammable
Precast concrete products can make a significant contribution to the construction and engineering and industries. The products manufactured from precast concrete range from small hydraulically pressed products, which are mass produced in fully automated factories, such as concrete bricks, paving slabs and roof tiles. To larger structural items such as retaining walls, pre-stressed concrete panels, pipes, culverts, hollowcore, architectural cladding and flooring beams.